The things that I am the most thankful for in my life are the people who have always supported and loved me: My Mom, Dad, Sister, Boyfriend, my entire family. I cannot imagine my life without these people in it. They keep me going everyday and I grow closer and love them even more with every passing day. My doggies are also a part of my family: Shady, Ginger, and Cookie. I am thankful for their waggy tails when I walk in the door and their slobbery kisses that always make me smile. I’m thankful for the home we live in; I couldn’t imagine a better place to grow up and everyday when I wake up in my home in the mountains and look out the window at the towering trees and majestic elk, I feel a sense of appreciation. I’m very grateful we all have our health, we may not be perfect, but it could always be so much worse. Finally I am thankful for the life that we live; we are very blessed to be surrounded with good people, a roof over our heads and cute animals at our feet. For all of these things I will forever be thankful. My life would be an empty void without them.
But, I think when we are asked “what are you thankful for”, we think of those things first, and the question has the exact same answer for everyone. Just like my answer, everyone is thankful for life, family, home, health, love; so I want to get more specific this year. Assume that we are all thankful for those things, now ask yourself that question again, what are you thankful for? With the obvious answers aside you will begin to think about the little things in your daily life that make your day a little brighter.
Here is my list of 20 little things in life that I am thankful for…
- The smell of the air just after it rains. It’s fresh and crisp with a light scent of pine.
- The feel of soft fabric. Nothing beats cuddling up in something soft on a cold winter’s day.
1. The beauty of a flower. The most beautiful thing in the world is nature, and flowers just do something to my brain that brings me joy just at the sight of them.
2. The heavenly scent of a fresh flower. Not all of them have a scent, but when they do, it’s the closest thing to heaven on earth.
3. The sunrise and sunset, the sky turns magical these times of the day. All of my favorite colors combine into a dance of vibrancy in the sky.
4. The feel of a sandy beach between your toes. I love living in the mountains, but vacation at the beach is a delight on so many levels. The feel of the sand, the sound of the waves, the scent of salt water, it’s amazing.
5. Christmas music as I walk through a mall. It’s my favorite time of the year and no matter how much shopping I have to do, I enjoy every minute of it.
6. Waking up on Christmas morning to find my amazing mother in the kitchen surrounded by tasty food and a fireplace crackling away next to a lit up tree. It’s like a scene from a movie.
8. Twilight the movies and books. Discovering Twilight made me discover my love for reading. But it also gave me an escape and a new obsession. If you haven’t read the books, it’s hard to understand the fascination so many have with the series.
10. A hot bubble bath, baths are an escape for me. I feel like I can think so clearly when I’m relaxing in the tub with no distractions, I’m able to figure out many of my problems and get lost in time.
12. The changing of the seasons. Living in Colorado the different seasons are very pronounced. I love it! We have warm sunning summer days, then cool and crisp autumn days, then a winter wonderland, then cheerful fresh spring days. I love seeing the transformation take place.
13. The ambiance and warmth of a flickering candle. What a difference it makes!
14. The telephone…. Hold on, it’s not what you think! I am thankful for the phone because it allows me to keep in touch with family living in other parts of the world. I know whenever I feel lonely or miss someone; someone who loves me is just a phone call away.
16. Plants, animals and nature everywhere. I know I kindof already said this, but I just can’t imagine being happy without nature in my life.
17. The silence of a snow fall; I don’t know if you have noticed this before, but when it is snowing everything goes silent. You have to get out of the city to experience this, but it is incredible. The only sound you hear is your own breathing.
18. Last but certainly not least is the sound of laughter and the beauty of a smiling face. When people are happy it is contagious.
What is something you are thankful for? Its the simple things in life.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I hope all of you have a wonderful feast surrounded by family and pie!
I do not own any of the pictures on this 11/ 24/2011 blog post. I found them on Google.